Workshop on Training and Qualification of Personnel for the Operating Organization and Regulatory Body for Research Reactors
International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and the Argonne National Laboratory (ANL), USA
Argonne, Illinois, USA
8-12 October 2012
Having competent, well-trained and qualified personnel in both the operating organization
and the regulatory body is an essential aspect of the safety infrastructure for research reactors.
This is reflected in the Safety Fundamentals publication Fundamental Safety Principles
(IAEA Safety Standards Series No. SF-1, Vienna, 2006), the Code of Conduct on the Safety
of Research Reactors, and the various applicable IAEA safety standards. Many countries that
currently operate research reactors are faced with the challenges of upgrading their regulatory
supervision, replacing aging staff members and, in some cases, staffing new operating
organizations and regulatory bodies.
In this respect, many Member States would benefit from training and exchange of experience on the recruitment, training and qualification of new personnel for their operating organizations and regulatory bodies, as well as on upgrading the capabilities of current personnel.
Therefore, the IAEA is organizing a Workshop on Training and Qualification of Operating Organization and Regulatory Body Personnel for Research Reactors, to be held at the Argonne National Laboratory, Illinois, USA, from 8 to 12 October 2012.
2. WORKING LANGUAGE
The working language of the workshop will be English. No translation will be provided.
3. PURPOSE OF THE WORKSHOP
The objective of this workshop is:
(a) to review the recommendations of the relevant IAEA safety standards that deal with the training and qualification of personnel for operating organizations and regulatory bodies;
(b) to introduce the best practices of existing operating organizations and regulatory bodies;
(c) to provide exercises in applying the above-mentioned recommendations; and
(d) to provide a forum for the participants to exchange their experience and good practices from their respective countries.
The workshop will include lectures by IAEA staff and other expert lecturers, presentations given by participants, and exercises and discussions in working groups.
4. WORKSHOP PARTICIPANTS
This workshop is intended for individuals from research reactor operating organizations, regulatory bodies, universities or national training organizations. Participants should be familiar with the safety considerations and issues involved in the operation and regulation of research reactors in their respective countries.
5. WORKSHOP PROGRAMME
In order to enable the participants to enhance their understanding of the relevant
training/qualification requirements and methods, lectures will be given by IAEA staff and
expert lecturers from well-established operating organizations and regulatory bodies.
The following relevant IAEA publications and documents, along with the experience and expertise of the guest lecturers, will form the basis for the workshop programme:
- Fundamental Safety Principles (IAEA Safety Standards Series No. SF-1, Vienna, 2006);
- Code of Conduct on the Safety of Research Reactors;
- Safety of Research Reactors (IAEA Safety Standards Series No. NS-R-4, Vienna, 2005);
- The Operating Organization and the Recruitment, Training and Qualification of Personnel for Research Reactors (IAEA Safety Standards Series No. NS-G-4.5, Vienna, 2008);
- Governmental, Legal and Regulatory Framework for Safety (IAEA Safety Standards Series No. GSR Part 1, Vienna, 2010);
- Organization and Staffing of the Regulatory Body for Nuclear Facilities (IAEA Safety Standards Series No. GS-G-1.1., Vienna, 2002);
- Application of the Management System for Facilities and Activities (IAEA Safety Standards Series No. GS-G-3.1, Vienna, 2006).
The information will be available soon.
Please check back.
These files are password protected. The password will be given during the class.
- Abou Yehia
- L.1.2. IAEA Safety Standards for Research Reactors.pdf
- L.1.3. IAEA Safety Review Services for RRs.pdf
- L.2.1. IAEA Training and Qualification for RR Personnel.pdf
- L.6.1. IAEA Training Resources.pdf
- L.1.1. Safety Fundamentals.pdf
- L.2.2. Stds for TnQ for RB.pdf
- L.3.1. Training & Qualification for a Large RR.pdf
- L.6.2. Intl Reg Devpt Partnership.pdf
- L.4.1. Training Program for RTR Inspectors.pdf
- L.4.2. Training Program for RTR PMs.pdf
- L.4.3. Operator Licensing Standards For Research Reactors.pdf
- L.3.2. Training and Qualification Program for a Small RR.pdf