Training Course on Preparation, Review and Assessment of Safety Documents for Research Reactors
International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and the Argonne National Laboratory (ANL), USA
Argonne, Illinois, USA
3 - 7 December 2012
One of the challenges facing operators and regulators of research reactors is preparing, reviewing and assessing safety documents, including, inter alia, the safety analysis report and the operational limits and conditions document, as well as maintaining these documents up to date. Experience from various International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Technical Meetings and safety missions to research reactors has indicated that in many cases safety documents are out of date and do not reflect the current configuration of the reactor, experiments and operating practices. In addition, many regulatory bodies do not have adequate capability to assess documents submitted by operating organizations. Up to date and accurate safety documents are essential to the safe operation and effective regulation of a research reactor. Therefore, the IAEA is organizing a Training Course on Preparation, Review and Assessment of Safety Documents for Research Reactors, to be held at the Argonne National Laboratory, Illinois, USA, from 3 to 7 December 2012.
2. WORKING LANGUAGE
The working language of the course will be English. No interpretation will be provided.
3. PURPOSE OF THE COURSE
The objective of this course is to assist operators and regulators of research reactors in Member States in addressing the challenge of preparing, reviewing and assessing safety documents for research reactors and maintaining these documents up to date. This course is intended to review the relevant IAEA safety standards and recommendations, and to provide a forum for the participants to exchange experience and good practices in this area.
4. TARGET AUDIENCE
This course is intended for individuals from research reactor operating organizations, regulatory bodies and technical support organizations who have responsibilities for the preparation, review or assessment of safety documents. Participants should be familiar with the safety considerations and issues involved in the operation and regulation of research reactors in their respective countries.
- L.1.1.Safety Fundamentals
- L.1.2.Reqts for Safety Assessment
- L.3.1.Stds for Review and Assessment by Op Org
- L.4.1.Stds for Review and Assessment by Reg Body
- L.2.3 US NRC Safety Analysis for Research Reactors
- L.2.4 US NRC Ageing Management for Research Reactors
- L.4.2A US NRC Safety Review for Research Reactors
- L.4.2B US NRC Examples of Safety Analysis and Review for Research Reactors
- L.4.3 US NRC License Renewal Reviews for Research Reactors
- New Reactor Assistance
- Abou Yehia
- L.1.3. IAEA Safety Standards for Research Reactors
- L.1.4. IAEA Safety Review Services for RRs
- L.2.1. Stds and Guidance for Prep of Safety Docs for RRs
- L.5.1. IAEA Stds for Mgmt of Safety Documents
- L.5.2. Evolution of Safety Docs thru the lifetime of the RR
The information will be available during the course.
- Course Photos