Regional Training Course on Establishing a Basic Radiotherapy Center
|Date:||10 – 14 July 2017|
|Location:||Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL, USA|
Deadline for Nominations of InvitedIAEA Member States: 25 April 2017
- Present an overview of the modern process of care of the oncologic patient
- Present details on the various tools required for the treatment of a patient with radiation
- Explain the staff requirements for a radiotherapy program relative to patient load and techniques, including their responsibilities and qualifications
- Familiarize the participants with the principles of radiation protection and safety requirements for the design of radiotherapy facilities
- Present the principles of quality assurance and a quality management program
- Present an organized detail of the steps of the flow of the design and implementation of a radiotherapy program in radiotherapy
- Promote an understanding of the principles underlying the design of radiotherapy facilities
The participants will gain knowledge on various aspects of setting up a radiotherapy center. They will recieve PDF copies of all PowerPoint presentations used by the course instructors.
The course will consist of lectures, presentations, discussion and demonstrations. This training course, planned for five working days, is intended to present an overview of the modern process of care of the oncologic patient, detail the various tools required for radiotherapeutic treatment of a patient, explain the staff requirements for a radiotherapy program, familiarize the participants with the principles of radiation protection and safety requirements for the design of radiotherapy facilities and present an organized detail of the steps of the flow of the design, implementation of a radiotherapy program in radiotherapy and promote an understanding of the underlying principles for the design of a radiotherapy facility. The national standards, regulations and requirements related to establishing and maintaining radiotherapy centres will also be discussed.
Planning a radiotherapy center in accordance with the need and resources of the country is of utmost importance. This requires an understanding of the modern process of care of the oncologic patient, good understanding of various choices and able to select machines based on needs, understanding of staffing requirements and design such facilities with efficient workflow, that meets radiation protection requirements. A due consideration must be given to national standards, regulations and requirements related to establishing and maintaining radiotherapy centers.
- Daily Course Evaluation
- Administration Evaluation