- Daily Course Evaluation
- Overall and Administration Evaluation
Interregional Workshop on Funding & Financing of Nuclear Power Plant (NPP) Projects
|Date:||12 – 16 November 2018|
|Location:||Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL, USA|
Application Deadline for Nominee(s) of Invited IAEA Member States: 7 September 2018
The main objective of this workshop is to support decision makers and those responsible for developing and implementing a nuclear programme in Member States considering the introduction of nuclear power (including States in Phases 1, 2 and 3) to improve the knowledge and develop the skills and abilities needed for success in the introduction of nuclear power, with emphasis on issues relating the financing of nuclear power plants.
- Workshop activities would revolve around three major inter-related objectives:
- providing knowledge of key issues a State has to consider when establishing a nuclear power programme, specifically funding and financing options and strategies;
- presentation of case studies of countries that have recently completed or are now in the process of making financial arrangements; and
- further strengthening the networking among emerging nuclear power countries and sharing international and field experiences.
The workshop will cover funding issues, including alternative contracting and ownership approaches for nuclear power programmes. It will include a brief refresher on key quantitative financial metrics, the outlining of a general framework within which the importance of optimal financial risk allocation can be understood, and presentations and a ‘hands on’ exercise on the role of financial modelling.
- The expected outputs of the workshop are:
- Improved ability to address the challenges and issues relating to building a national position and financing nuclear power plants.
- Better knowledge of NPP financing and funding options as well as procurement structures and better understand of contracting mechanisms including Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) contracting.
- Improved knowledge of financial risk, economics of nuclear power, and market regulations and better understanding of alternative financing mechanisms.
- Enhanced networking opportunities among participants.
Scope and Nature
This workshop, planned for 5 working days, will be divided into the following 7 workshop modules:
- Workshop Modules:
- Key financial metrics (IRR, DSCR etc)
- Sustainability context for nuclear energy
- Contracting and risk allocation (EPC, PPA)
- Funding & financing
- Financial modelling
- Nuclear project case studies
- Other Aspects