- Daily Course Evaluation
- Overall and Administration Evaluation
Interregional Training Course on Environmental Protection Considerations for Embarking Countries
|Date:||4 – 8 November 2019|
|Location:||Argonne National Laboratory, Lemont, IL, USA|
Application Deadline for Nominee(s) of Invited IAEA Member States: 12 August 2019
The purpose of this training course is to provide participants, from countries considering a new or expanding an existing nuclear power programme or preparing to invite bids or negotiate a contract for a nuclear power plant (NPP), with an understanding of and updated guidance and international experience related to environmental protection for NPP projects, including environmental impact assessment studies.
In particular, within the context of the IAEA Milestones Approach to developing a national infrastructure for nuclear power, this training course will provide information, guidance, tools and practical experience on:
- Environmental impact assessment process and procedures;
- Environmental specialist studies required by legislation or international best practices;
- Interface between radiological and non-radiological assessments;
- Interface between environmental impact assessment studies and site evaluation studies;
- Interface with the assessments of the impact of increased infrastructure requirements (e.g. additional or upgraded roads, sewage works, additional housing);
- Stakeholder involvement and public communication during the environmental impact assessment; and
- Associated social infrastructure development requirements and community acceptance.
Nature of the course
The training course will include presentations, interactive activities, a technical tour and peer-to-peer information exchange. International experts as well as IAEA staff will present and share their experience, highlighting common challenges and good practices.